If you are travelling by road to Boca del Drago, you can stop just 15 minutes from the town of Bocas del Toro on Colón Island at La Gruta, a cave where three different kinds of bats dwell. The area is also a natural habitat to armadillos, sloths, diverse monkey species, iguanas, and agoutis.
Another attraction near Boca del Drago, accessible only by boat, is Bird Island. This is the only place in the isthmus of Panama where the Red-billed Tropicbird (rabijunco piquirrojo) lives and nests. The bird is white with an orange-red beak, and males have a long and showy tail. Gulls, frigate birds, pelicans, terns, and albatross can also be spotted.
Boca del Drago is situated northwest of Colón Island in Bocas Del Toro Province.
How to arrive
First travel to Colón Island in Bocas del Toro in one of the following forms of transportation:
- Plane: Direct flights are available from Marcos A. Gelabert Airport in Albrook to Bocas del Toro on Colón Island.
- Bus: From the Albrook Mall bus station, there are daily departures at 8:00 p.m. on the fleet of busses that travel the Pan-American Highway.
- Car: Cross the Bridge of the Americas headed west towards the city of David in Chiriquí Province. Before reaching David, turn north at Gualaca. You will traverse spectacularly beautiful landscapes as you cross a mountain range. Once you reach either Chiriquí Grande or Changuinola, you can board a water taxi that will take you to Colón Island.
- Ground transportation: In addition to a car, you can rent a scooter or bicycle to follow the highway until reaching Boca del Drago.
Once on Colón Island, you can take the following mode of transport to get to Boca del Drago:
- Boat: A water taxi will give you a boat ride to Boca del Drago.
What to bring
- Water bottle
- Light-weight clothing
- Bird watching and observation of starfish
- Sport fishing