The Panamanian flag was designed by Manuel Encarnación Amador Torrero and was sewn by Maria De La Ossa de Amador.
Manuel E. Amador incorporated political considerations in his design by using characteristic colors of the two main political parties: red represented the Liberals and blue the Conservatives. The white symbolized the peace that both parties reached, and the stars were meant to indicate the uprightness, force and authority that characterized the country's development.
Blessing of the Flag
On December 20, 1903 the emblem was religiously blessed by the Reverend Fray Bernardino de la Concepción García, in the presence of two sponsoring couples, Gerardo Ortega with Lastenia de Lewis and José Agustín Arango with Manuela M. Arosemena.
Legal Adoption of the Flag
By Law 64 of 1904, the Constituent Assembly provisionally adopted the flag. It received final acceptance by Act 4 of 1925 in the National Assembly and its use was ratified by Law 28 in March 1941.